Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Navigating in the Starship Mobilize






Hope you enjoy a little Starwars parody :)  Simple text format of this is available at the bottom.
A not so long time ago, in a bathroom not so far far away was an exceedingly tight corner that was simply not fit for a wheelchair.  Anaka Skyroller tried as much as she could to navigate the narrow turn.  Unfortunately she was unable to keep the corner of the Starship Mobilize from colliding with the great Swinging Door of Doom.  The screech of the beloved Mobilize slowly dragging across the Door of Doom was heard throughout the whole galaxy.  Skyroller surveyed the damage to the ship first as she passed the confines of the door.  Her jubilance over there being no damage to the ship was sort lived as she glanced back and saw a deep, 8 inch long wound on the Swinging Door of Doom.  Small, sea foam green particles of industrial strength paint littered the floor of the not so spacious doorway.  This is just another casualty in Skyroller’s quest to navigate this world in the Starship Mobilize.


           This dramatic tale may seem a bit farfetched, something from another planet, however it was very much my reality last Saturday.  My wheelchair (which I’m now thinking about referring to as the Starship Mobilize) has footrests that extend straight out in front to accommodate my unbending legs.  The ends of said footrests about approximately 14 inches off the ground and have been known to cause some damage.  The list of things I have dented, scraped, punched through, and taken the paint off of is endless.  I used to feel quite guilty for ruining walls, doors, and furniture that blocked my path.  However I’ve since learned that I only need to feel partially guilty.  See there comes a point where my carful navigation can only get me so far.  Sometimes I simply won’t fit.  However when it comes to being able to get into a restroom – I need to fit and should fit, especially when it’s the restroom.   
            My extra long chair takes some finesse to maneuver, especially in retail stores.  I tend to forget that I’m in a chair since it’s simply the way I’ve always been.  However when you’re happily driving along and suddenly hit something, you stop abruptly, your head snaps back, and realize “oh no, I’ve taken out this entire store display!”  I would nearly throw myself out of my chair to pick up the merchandise as quickly as possible, hoping that nobody would notice. 
One day when I had taken out some sort of display I realized that this wasn’t entirely my fault.  Public spaces are supposed to be assessable for all people, and if this display was moved over 2 inches it would still be standing.  Instead of killing myself trying to pick everything up I found the nearest sales associate and told them what had happened.  They came over to the scene of the crime against accessibility and agreeably picked up the display.  I explained that this could have been prevented if they took into account the space needed for a wheelchair to turn, adding that stores are supposed to be accessible.  This experience helped me realize that navigating is not just the job of the driver, but the maker of the roads as well.  Highway organizations take into account where it is safe for cars to drive, and drivers use traffic laws to govern how they drive. 
            Navigating my extra long chair is a challenge everyday, especially in my 150+ year old house.  I love this old house, so I try to work around it but there is this one corner that I hit on a daily basis.  In the second part of this navigation trilogy I’ll reveal some cleaver ways I’ve thought of to patch the marks I’ve left.  

Simple Text Format from above: A not so long time ago, in a bathroom not so far far away was an exceedingly tight corner that was simply not fit for a wheelchair.  Anaka Skyroller tried as much as she could to navigate the narrow turn.  Unfortunately she was unable to keep the corner of the Starship Mobilize from colliding with the great Swinging Door of Doom.  The screech of the beloved Mobilize slowly dragging across the Door of Doom was heard throughout the whole galaxy.  Skyroller surveyed the damage to the ship first as she passed the confines of the door.  Her jubilance over there being no damage to the ship was short lived as she glanced back and saw a deep, 8 inch long wound on the Swinging Door of Doom.  Small, sea foam green particles of industrial strength paint littered the floor of the not so spacious doorway.  This is just another casualty in Skyroller’s quest to navigate this world in the Starship Mobilize.

2 comments:

  1. And how about that bathroom in Charlottetown on Prince Edward Island when you took out the liquid soap dispenser that was under the counter - I did feel sorry for the sweet girl who cleaned that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh....I've taken out a few displays in my day, and there's a distinct link between where my footrest is and marks on the doors....thanks for the giggle!

    ReplyDelete