Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Forever Twirling


I know this isn’t a typical “I haven’t blogged in almost a year” entry.  There's a lot to fill you all in on: engagements, nephews, moves - but that will have to wait.  However sometimes entries write themselves and welcome back posts must be postponed. 

            My alarm went off Sunday morning and I was greeted with sun streaming through my window blinds and birds chirping outside.  It sounds extremely cliché but honestly that’s how my day actually started – full of symbols of life.  As usual I prolonged my laying in bed (although this morning I actually felt “awake”) and mentally went through my closet deciding what I would wear to church.  I made my way to the kitchen to put my mandatory pot of coffee on.  Taking time to finish up the half cup left in the pot I sat in the middle of the kitchen and stared at the floor watching the sun shadows dance.  Something struck me this morning – everything seemed beautiful, like I was in a dream or had HD glasses on.  I put on my mentally pre-planned outfit of a skirt and t-shirt, nothing particularly different than my daily wear really.
            Out the door on time I went to my van to get in and head to church.  Knowing what sort of mindset I was in I wasn’t surprised that I took my time getting in, leaving the side door of my van open and the breeze blow in until the very last second.  As I stood up to get into the driver’s seat the wind blew my skirt a bit.  Just like before when I captivated earlier by the shadows dancing I couldn’t stop watching the wind play with the hem of my skirt.  My mind instantly envisioned myself twirling, leaping, dancing, and spinning in a bright white, sun-filled room.  I knew what I was seeing – it was a sneak peek of myself in heaven getting my dance on. 
            During my drive to church I was in a happy dreamy state.  I was almost thankful that the car I was stuck behind was driving a good 10 mph under the speed limit; I was enjoying seeing the scenery with my “high-def dream glasses”.  Once at church I sidled in next to my sister-in-law and 8 month old nephew Liam.  I am going to have to tell you more about Liam someday but for now you just need to know some basic facts: that sweet little boy lights up the room with his smile and shares his Aunt Emily’s orthopedic challenges.  Still thinking about twirling in heaven I looked at Liam and had similar visions – him running, jumping, tumbling and doing flips.  As I played with Liam throughout the church service I prayed that no matter what his future held (we don’t know exactly how similar his genetic disability is to mine) he would never forget what I was being reminded of that morning – that in heaven we’ll have perfect legs and feet.
            I couldn’t help but feel an overwhelming sense of gratefulness that I can look forward to an eternity with perfectly functioning legs.  I’m not going to lie, I have no idea what the sermon was actually about (I was really lost in my own thought process).  However at the end of the message the worship team played that classic Mercy Me song “I can Only Imagine”.  I’ve heard that song a million times on the radio and usually just ignore it, but when I hear it live it gets me (especially when my brother plays it – since becoming Liam’s daddy I think of him and that song totally differently).  All hope of keeping my emotions in check when out the window when the lyrics of the song connected with my visions that morning.   “Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel?  Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still?”  Totally and completely overwhelmed by what I have to look forward to I cried tears of gratitude.
Rarely do I really think about how my movements are hindered by my lack of muscle control in my legs, but mornings like Sunday I just can’t get away from it.  There have been times when those thoughts have made me feel the exact opposite; sad, depressed, and inadequate.  Part of the reason I am writing the experience of this past Sunday down is because I want to remember it.  I need to remember that I have all of eternity to twirl, do cartwheels, jump, and dance.  Eternity is a whole lot longer than my lifetime here on earth.  Any thought of heaven automatically reminds me of the tremendous love God has for me, and the fact that He made me to His perfect specifications.  The way I am, the way Liam is, the way you are is exactly how we were thoughtfully put together.
            The other reason I wanted to write this down was to share it with you.  I try not to get over preachy or religious in this blog because I want to be as relatable as possible.  However my relationship with Christ is a huge part of who I am, it’s my very foundation, and it has had an immeasurable impact on how I view my disability.  It would be so easy to take the fact that the only movement my skirt makes it from the wind and simply be sad about it.  To wallow in the fact that I won’t ever know the simple girlish pleasure of twirling.  But what good would that do?  I want to share the hope and promise of an eternity as a perfect being – completely whole physically, emotionally, and spiritually.  Here’s to spending forever twirling : )

No comments:

Post a Comment